To our amazing Satellite community and beyond,
We are thinking of you during this challenging and unknown time. All of our programs have been postponed for now but will be up and running as soon as we can! In the meantime, we want to stay connected and in communication in whatever ways we can. There are so many fantastic resources being shared at the moment for families and children. We will update these once a week from now on so that we can continue to share things that can bring us together – even in a virtual way!
It’s so important to find spaces to still have fun and to practice lots of self care. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch – swap stories of being house bound, share a cool activity, a recipe, a link to something you found interesting or helpful or just to say hello.
Below are some great links to check out!
Emerging minds have a short video available about talking to children about natural disasters, traumatic events, or worries about the future. This video introduces ways for parents and carers to manage media coverage of traumatic events, and talk to their children about their worries and fears. https://vimeo.com/394049129
Indoor games with children ideas: https://www.todaysparent.com/toddler/20-fun-indoor-games/
8 ways kids can help the environment (including making bird feeders from recycled bottles, flower pots from cans): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONBU7btYuo
This is an article which looks at parenting in a pandemic (highlighting routine): https://medium.com/@amy_56184/parenting-in-a-pandemic-5b6f2a58db28
This link looks at managing stress and anxiety during a pandemic (for all, parents children and health workers): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
Here are some great ideas for keeping kids entertained at home that might help come up with some activities: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/self-isolating-and-homeschooling-tips-for-surviving-and-thriving-with-your-children-521783b35ae6
Avoid Cabin Fever With These 125 Ideas to Keep Kids Entertained During the Coronavirus Crisis: https://parade.com/1009774/stephanieosmanski/things-to-do-with-kids-during-coronavirus-quarantine/
Ways to give back to the community:
• Make cards for those in hospital or nursing homes isolated from their family
• Cook something for local community businesses for morning tea or snacks (door drop offs will be very welcome for those who haven’t had much time to get in the kitchen)
• Clean up the local park or beach (keeping a safe social distance from others)
• Make bookmarks to give to local aged care facilities (you can send these in the post!)
• Write a message/draw a picture of thanks or hope for your local community (stick them on your windows facing outwards – you never know who will see them and how it will brighten their day)
• Create care packages and thank-you cards for local service people in your community.
• Make a video of a storybook, song, dance or music to post/send to those isolated from their families.
• Sort through toys, games and clothing to donate to others
Take care of yourselves and each other – the Satellite team x