What is the Youth Advisory Council (YAC)?
The YAC is a group of young people who can influence, shape and guide Satellite’s future. The YAC is designed to value lived experience as expertise, and we want to harness members’ contributions in a way that allows them to have as great an influence as possible on the future of Satellite.
Am I eligible to be a YAC member?
You are eligible to join the Youth Advisory Council if you are aged between 18-25yrs and have a lived/living experience of a family member with mental health challenges. In our space, “mental health challenges” is defined as both diagnosed and undiagnosed mental illness, trauma or stress impacting the family, and other pressure factors such as addiction.
What does YAC membership look like?
- The YAC holds monthly two hour meetings that cover a range of topics
- We also have five working groups that have specific areas of focus, such as advocacy, creativity or partnerships
- Membership in any of these working groups is optional
- Membership is for 6 months with the option to renew or leave
- YAC members will be paid $30 per hour via honorarium for their time and expertise