Satellite Camps are three-day, overnight programs for young people 10–15yrs (approx). Our camps use a range of diverse indoor and outdoor activities to engage participants and to have fun! Team-building and adventure activities provide opportunities to work together, build camaraderie and create lasting memories. Quiet activities like arts and crafts and yoga allow for down time, friendship-building and promote discussions about personal experiences and self-care. Given the diversity of young people and the challenges they may be living with, our camps adopt a high leader-participant ratio to enable strong connection and safety.
Our camps aim to:
- offer a positive experience in a fun safe environment that contributes towards building skills and confidence
- provide opportunities for respite for children and young people
- reduce isolation through peer support
- provide opportunities for positive role modelling through the adult and peer leaders
- promote healthy coping strategies for children and young people
- encourage longer term interactions between participants through the exchange of contact details and attending connecting activities.
- facilitate age appropriate discussions about mental illness and the impact on families