Approximately 250,000 children and young people in Victoria live with a parent or carer who has a mental illness. Without support these young people are more than twice as likely to develop their own mental health issues.
Without support these young people are more than twice as likely to develop their own mental health issues.
It can be different.
Satellite Foundation's commitment during the COVID-19 crisis
Our mission to build futures of hope and possibility is more important than ever.
All of the Covid 19 changes can leave people with strong feelings of worry, sadness, concern for the future and general uncertainly. This is normal! This unusual time will not last forever, but while it’s here we need to take special care of others and ourselves.
If you or someone you know is especially troubled or worried at this time, ask for help. You don’t need to figure this out alone. You can ring a friend or relative.
Or for confidential support you can ring:
Life Line – 13 11 14
Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
Emergency Services – 000
Suicide Line – 1300 651 251
Satellite & VoiceLab
Satellite teamed up with VoiceLab from Polyglot Theatre to hear what young people participating in our programs thought about things.
Their voices and opinions show the impact that conversations around mental health can have and just how important it is that we have them.
We are committed to
Children & Young People
- Connecting with children and young people as a part of their family system
- Celebrating everyone's achievements no matter how small they may seem
- Embracing peer support as a powerful tool in assisting young people and their families
- Working in partnership with families, children, young people, services and the community
- Recognising that every family is unique and different
- Helping families and individuals reach their own solutions to challenges in the right environment
- Building awareness and shaping conversations
- Taking an inclusive and non-blaming approach to mental illness
- Respecting cultural, spiritual and individual difference
Satellite Connect is an online and face-to-face program for young people who have a parent/carer with a mental illness.
The program is built for participants from 17–23 years old (approx.) and aims to provide opportunities to meet, interact and collaborate while exploring professional and personal development.